Sunday, January 16, 2011

Hiking the Sierra Nevadas


The Sierra Nevadas aren't named the 'snowy range' for nothin'. They are really beautiful and full of fun 'peaks' to scramble around. Our two oldest mountain goats had a blast. It was completely silent. It's been a real treat to have vistas clear of electrical lines and cell towers.





The kids had a great adventure hiking to the top of one of the peaks, just in time for a beautiful sunset.







It's funny how seeing a sight can transport you to another time. Rick and I met in college and he used to wear his hat backwards all the time. When we backpacked around the world it was a familiar sight but in the last several years I can't say I've seen it very often. Today it took me by surprise to see that old sight with a changed landscape of course.




When we left a week ago I knew things would happen while we were away. I remember taking pause and wondering if something too horrible would transpire and saying a little prayer in advance. Last night I opened my email to the sad and startling news that the husband of a friend had passed away. Their children are the same age as ours. He was Rick's age. He adored his children and his wife. We are thinking about them and praying for them. 
Hold your special people close.

1 comment:

  1. such beauty in those mountains - great photos!
    thank also you for the reminder, dear lisa... holding each other close... every new unfolding moment a gift... sympathies to you for the loss of your friend...

    ReplyDelete